These Chicken lettuce wraps are quick and easy to make. Made of sauteed ground chicken with flavorful Asian savory sauce and served on lettuce leaves. It’s a great appetizer or a light meal any time of the day!
Chicken lettuce wraps are popular in Southeast Asia and many restaurants. What to love about this famous dish? It’s delicious, budget-friendly, and a satisfying dish that can feed a crowd. Also, it can easily be customized and switched the meat or vegetables. Add hot chili for a spicy version.
Lettuce– Romaine, iceberg, Bibb, Boston, and butterhead lettuce are great for wraps.
Chicken– can be substituted with red meat or tofu for a vegan version.
Aromatics– onion, garlic, and ginger
Sauce– Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, or substitute with mushroom sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, water, and cornstarch.
Adjust these ingredients to taste or to your liking.
Hoisin sauce– has a sweet and salty umami taste.
Oyster sauce is salty and may need to adjust the measurement to taste. May substitute with mushrooms sauce.
Dark Soy Sauce is slightly thicker and less salty than regular soy sauce and it adds a dark color to the dish
Optional vegetables are mushrooms (cremini or shiitake), water chestnuts, carrots, celery, and bell peppers.
How to Make Chicken Lettuce Wraps
More Delicious Asian Appetizer Recipes
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Watch How to Make It
- 5 Lettuce leaves Romaine or Iceberg lettuce
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb Chicken ground or minced
- 1 cup cremini or shiitake mushrooms sub with water chestnut or add both
- ½ cup onion or shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1 tbsp ginger minced or grated
- ½ cup carrot finely chopped
- ¼ cup celery finely chopped
- ⅓ cup bell pepper finely chopped
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp Hoisin Sauce or to taste
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce or to taste
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce or to taste
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Make the sauce. Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Mix until blended and smooth. Set aside.
- Sautè the aromatics, chicken, and vegetables. Preheat the wok and add the canola oil. Saute onion and mushrooms for a minute or 2. Add the chicken, garlic, ginger, and sauce. Sautè for about 1 minute or until the chicken turn white. Then add the vegetables and continue cooking for another minute or two. Remove from heat and serve with the lettuce. Garnish with finely chopped green onions or finely chopped chives, if desired.